Well, I would say the #turkeytalk chat was quite a success. At some point, enough people were on the chat long enough that we were a trending topic in DC on Twitter! Pretty exciting I say :)
Here’s the round up tips, tricks and recipes shared during the chat – but the hashtag is very much alive! Keep using it on Twitter to join in and share!
Tips, Tricks and Resources
- Five Thanksgiving Prep Tips From Melissa Clark, The Kitchn
- @Evan_Halperin recommends covering left over turkey with a cheesecloth to help keep it moist.
- Real Simple: How to Fix 10 Common Mistakes
- Bon Appetit Thanksgiving planner
- Food52 Food Pickle
Snacks & Apps
- @Evan_Halperin likes Artichoke & Chestnut Pate (a bit involved but looks yummy).
- @MangoTomato recommends dates stuffed with almonds and wrapped in bacon and baked. Similarly I said how about Figs with Bleu Cheese & Honey.
- @QuincyReba likes seafood snacks like salmon mousse or even simple shrimp cocktail. And @MrsWheelbarrow had this Salmon Gravlax recipe on hand.
- Big winner idea of the night: @MrsWheelbarrow rubs her turkey down with bacon fat. Rubs. Her turkey. Down. With. Bacon. Fat.
- I plan on rubbing my turkey down with butter…and that’s when @ThriftyDCCook recommended Cowgirl Creamery‘s European style salted butter from Vermont.
- Brine recipe: Salt, brown sugar, oranges, lemons, thyme, parsley. Keep in the cooler overnight w/ice. via @MrsWheelbarrow
- Everyone raved over Michael Ruhlman’s Ratio book for a brine recipe.
- Ever consider spatchcocking your turkey, then cooking it on the grill? @MrsWheelbarrow and @ThriftyDCCook are thinking of doing their turkey this way – but be warned – this takes muscle and a strong pair of kitchen shears.
- There was a debate over stuff in the turkey vs. out of the turkey – some liked out of the turkey because that frees up the cavity for aromatics (lemons, oranges, onions, fresh herbs) others like it in because all the flavors and juices get to mingle. In the end, it’s a personal preference.
Vegetarian options, Sides, Desserts, Drinks and more after the jump…