It’s from Giada De Laurentis who I generally regard as the cutest cook on Food Network. She’s the kinda girl I’d like to be gal pals with. We would make big yummy Italian dinners and then eat chocolate ricotta mousse afterward laughing about the night’s events. Or something.
Anyway…I made a few changes because I like more veggies in my soup and more pasta and all these additions called for more liquids. Plus, I forgot to get canellini beans at the store and had to sub black beans which turned out just darn diggity fine! Warning…this makes a lot of soup so, get ready to serve a large group OR freeze some of this for later!
Adapted from Giada De Laurentis
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (get a spicey kind if you want some extra zip!)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth; plus one in case you want soupier soup
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini/black/kidney/navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, beans, chili powder, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with a crusty bread for sopping up the tasty!